After moving to Des Moines, she worked on the staff of several Better Homes & Gardens publications, including Remodeling Ideas, Beautiful New Homes, and Before & After. She has also contributed to several Real Simple titles, including Real Simple Clutter-Free Home and Real Simple Secrets to a Clean Home, The Home Edit, and Reveal. Renee earned a Bachelor of Arts in Magazine Journalism with an Area of Concentration in Graphic Design from Drake University, in Des Moines, Iowa. Jessica Bennett is the digital assistant home editor at Better Homes & Gardens. With a knack for writing and editing, she covers decorating, home improvement, cleaning, organizing, and more for BHG.com.
- Attach them to the ceiling of the closet or if there are shelves above the desk, stick the puck lights under it.
- That’s why building the work-from-home office of your dreams may require the expertise of a closet designer or interior designer.
- I find I am more productive and I love love love visiting my office throughout the day.
- “If you have the opportunity to create a closet office across from a window, take it!” Patterson says.
It really helped me to see what could work in the room and where I was thinking the space was bigger than what it was. The best closet offices with designs that will provide all the inspiration you need to create your small, or grand cloffice designs. Some take advantage https://remotemode.net/ of nooks under a staircase or other unused corners and recesses within homes and apartments. These are typically unusual spaces, so consult a closet pro for best results. One of the most popular cloffice types, reach-ins are standard guest or bedroom closets.
Doors and Windows
For all of us who have transitioned to work from home this year, this post is for you! Many of us do not have space for a full-fledged home office but the good news is that a small closet space can be transformed into a home office. In the COVID-work-at-home-era many people have had to transition their closets into offices – hence the new term cloffice. Natola started her cloffice by adding an accent wall. “I wanted something fun yet calming that could translate a little bit of my personality,” she said. You can style your shelves with decor, books, or baskets and bins of office supplies. Storing smaller items in bins keeps the shelves from looking too busy while still keeping necessities within arm’s reach.
- That said, Teresa Caruso of Money Can Buy Lipstick allowed pink and white to prevail in her cloffice, which features IKEA’s Pax Wardrobe system.
- This closet features a panel back in green to highlight the wood tones of the floating shelves.
- As long as you have several sources of light, you can turn off the ones you don’t need at the moment and create an ideal ambience in your home office.
- This is one of those cloffice ideas that work best in a walk-in closet.
Thus, what we call a WFH closet, or a cloffice, has evolved into a trend of its own. The problem is that many WFH employees or freelancers often lack the space in their homes to set up a proper office. A dedicated home office, even if it’s just a tiny nook, has been directly linked to productivity in several studies. Renee Freemon Mulvihill began her career in New York City, working on the staff of Country Living Gardener, Rebecca’s Garden, and the House Beautiful Special Interest Publications.
More Ways to Shop
Having no doors makes a small space office appear larger; the downside is lack of privacy. However, curtains and dividers can easily separate work and home life without taking up too much space. A carefully selected swivel chair offers space-saving benefits in a confined space.
A standard walk-in closet for two people typically measures 70–100 square feet, big enough to serve as a closet and workspace—or a multi-purpose cloffice. Many fashion bloggers and creatives add custom storage units and rolling racks from retailers like The Container Store, so their clothes and workstation can co-exist. It doesn’t have to be a large space, but room for a 48-inch-wide work surface with 30-inches of empty space for leg room is recommended if you plan to spend much time there.
Closet offices: Designing a private work-from-home space
To kickstart your inspiration, we’re sharing seven cloffices that are just as pretty as they are practical. Take inventory of what you’ve got around the house and any storage areas. If you’ve got everything you need to make a cloffice, start with that instead of buying first. Since you’d be spending hours in this area, it’s important to have the right vibe as well as the right furniture for your cloffice. After Vowels determined what was needed in the space, she got to work measuring for the perfect fit.
Do all dressers need to be anchored?
No, Dressers Don't Need To Be Anchored To A Wall.
Place a built-in desk/cloffice between two sets of bookshelves and cover with tall cabinet doors. The first step in creating your dream cloffice is figuring out how you’ll use your space.
Cloffice Nook with Built-In Desk
The return wall is the small section of wall on the front of the closet that frames the door. These walls vary in length by a few inches to several feet. Your drawers need to be able to fully open in order to be useful. If they can’t open their full 20-inches depth, go with open shelves convert closet to office under the desktop instead. A cloffice is a closet that doubles as an office, making it the ultimate work from home setup when space is tight. Read Sandra’s blog to see her cloffice transformation come to life and find inspiration for when you make this happen in your own home.
- A few DIYs and this boy’s closet office is ready to use and manageable enough for him to keep it organized.
- He also hung a pegboard in his workspace, which offers a versatile solution for storing all sorts of work essentials.
- Ready to start designing the perfect work station for your home?
- A cloffice is a closet or a nook that you can transform into a functional office space.